Country

Senegal

Explore historical and projected climate data, climate data by sector, impacts, key vulnerabilities and what adaptation measures are being taken. Explore the overview for a general context of how climate change is affecting Senegal.

Country Context

Senegal borders the Atlantic Ocean on the westernmost point of the African continent. Two distinct seasons characterize Senegal’s climate: a dry season from roughly October to May and a rainy season from June to September. While Senegal has enjoyed a strong economic performance and a steady growth over recent years, the population’s living standards are still very low. Poverty in Senegal is most prevalent in rural areas, where roughly 60% of the population resides. The other 40% are found in urban areas, where the majority live in rapidly growing urban suburbs. Low agricultural production, limited capacity of the economy to create sustainable jobs, and inadequate resource allocation for social services contribute to poverty. Senegal is vulnerable to drought, locust invasion, flooding and related health epidemics, sea-level rise, coastal erosion and its corollaries, and bush fire. 

The Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development is the central body for climate change policies in Senegal. However, the National Committee on Climate Change, which consists of a representatives from every ministry and the President’s office, is also an important body involved in the process. The country has not published a comprehensive climate change strategy but developed the National Adaptation Programmes of Action in 2006 and submitted a detailed Nationally Determined Contribution in 2015 providing projects and plans for mitigation and adaptation. Senegal ratified the Paris Agreement on September 21, 2016. 

Country level data at a glance

Climate Data

Historical Trends

The section provides access to historical climate datasets for both temperature and precipitation from 1900 to 2016.

Projected Trends

The section provides access to future climate datasets for both temperature and precipitation and their statistical derivatives for various timeframes and emission scenarios from 2020 to 2099.

The section provides access to future climate datasets for both temperature and precipitation and their statistical derivatives for various timeframes and emission scenarios from 2020 to 2099.

Climate by Sector

This section contains information from multiple climate indicators and indices relevant for key economic sectors. Simple narratives can help you interpret and extract summaries of potential climate change impacts at the sector level.

Explore further

Vulnerability

This section allows you to explore the susceptibility of livelihoods and natural systems to impacts from climate variability and change and facilitate the exploration of socioeconomic and development data and its relationships with natural hazards vulnerable areas.

Explore further

Impacts

This section allows you to explore the climate information from multiple climate indicators and present them with simple, embedded interpretation for an informative, high-level summary of the potential for future climate change impacts on key socioeconomic sectors.

Explore further

Adaptation

This section helps you grasp key national adaptation policies and reports, explore options for key sectors, and understand current adaptation gaps and needs for enhanced climate smart planning.

Explore further