Country

Paraguay

Explore historical and projected climate data, climate data by sector, impacts, key vulnerabilities and what adaptation measures are being taken. Explore the overview for a general context of how climate change is affecting Paraguay.

Country Context

Paraguay is a landlocked country in South America bordered by Argentina, Brazil, and Bolivia with a population of 6.7 million and an economy of 26 billion in 2017. The country is home to the Acuífero Guaraní, one of the largest fresh water resources in the region, several rivers, and 4.8 million hectares of arable land.  Approximately 39% of the country is forest area and 55% Is agricultural land. Paraguay, classified as an upper-middle-income economy, has a per-capita GDP of 3,900 in 2017. The country has a predominantly urban population of 4 million, or 60% of the population; 40% of urban population lives two cities, Encarnación and Ciudad del Este, the other 60% live in Asunción. Paraguay has made significant gains in poverty reduction and inequality. The population living below the national poverty line has declined from 37% in 2011, to 29% in 2016. The Paraguayan economy is primarily based on agriculture, animal husbandry, and hydroelectric energy production. Services value added represent 45% of GDP followed by industry, 26%, agriculture 18%, and Manufacturing 11%. Trade represents 84%, a significant portion of GDP, and is characterized by exports of soy, energy, and meat.

Adaptation to climate change is a priority in Paraguay’s 2030 National Development Plan and a focus of Paraguay’s climate policy. Its economy is highly dependent on production and exports of primary goods, particularly agriculture and animal husbandry. Priority adaptation sectors identified by Paraguay’s Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC) include: water resources, forestry, agricultural production and animal husbandry, land management, energy, infrastructure, health and sanitation, and disaster risk management.

Country level data at a glance

Climate Data

Historical Trends

The section provides access to historical climate datasets for both temperature and precipitation from 1900 to 2016.

Projected Trends

The section provides access to future climate datasets for both temperature and precipitation and their statistical derivatives for various timeframes and emission scenarios from 2020 to 2099.

The section provides access to future climate datasets for both temperature and precipitation and their statistical derivatives for various timeframes and emission scenarios from 2020 to 2099.

Climate by Sector

This section contains information from multiple climate indicators and indices relevant for key economic sectors. Simple narratives can help you interpret and extract summaries of potential climate change impacts at the sector level.

Explore further

Vulnerability

This section allows you to explore the susceptibility of livelihoods and natural systems to impacts from climate variability and change and facilitate the exploration of socioeconomic and development data and its relationships with natural hazards vulnerable areas.

Explore further

Impacts

This section allows you to explore the climate information from multiple climate indicators and present them with simple, embedded interpretation for an informative, high-level summary of the potential for future climate change impacts on key socioeconomic sectors.

Explore further

Adaptation

This section helps you grasp key national adaptation policies and reports, explore options for key sectors, and understand current adaptation gaps and needs for enhanced climate smart planning.

Explore further