Country

El Salvador

Explore historical and projected climate data, climate data by sector, impacts, key vulnerabilities and what adaptation measures are being taken. Explore the overview for a general context of how climate change is affecting El Salvador.

Country Context

El Salvador is located in Central America, in the tropical belt of the earth, inside the Inter-Tropical Convergence Zone (ITCZ). The climate of El Salvador is tropical with pronounced rainy and dry seasons but with moderated temperature which changes mainly by elevation in the interior. El Salvador covers an area of 21.040 km2 and is one of the smallest countries in the region. With a population of 6.581.860 inhabitants in 2017, 60.2% is located in urban areas and the remaining 39.8% in rural areas. El Salvador has one of the highest population densities of the continent, with 313 inhabitants per km2 at national level. The Metropolitan Area of San Salvador (AMSS), the political and economic center of the country, covers the 3% of the national territory and concentrates the 25.7% of the population with an average population density of 2.772 people/ km2.

El Salvador is among the countries most affected by weather-related events and other hazards, incurring annual losses of around 2.5 percent of GDP. Worldwide, it ranks second highest for risk exposure to two or more hazards, and highest for the total population at a relatively high risk of mortality. Furthermore, climate change is expected to increase the frequency and severity of weather-related events. The country has ratified the Paris Agreement and submitted its revised Nationally Determined Contribution (in Spanish) on October 30, 2017. 

 

Country level data at a glance

Climate Data

Historical Trends

The section provides access to historical climate datasets for both temperature and precipitation from 1900 to 2016.

Projected Trends

The section provides access to future climate datasets for both temperature and precipitation and their statistical derivatives for various timeframes and emission scenarios from 2020 to 2099.

The section provides access to future climate datasets for both temperature and precipitation and their statistical derivatives for various timeframes and emission scenarios from 2020 to 2099.

Climate by Sector

This section contains information from multiple climate indicators and indices relevant for key economic sectors. Simple narratives can help you interpret and extract summaries of potential climate change impacts at the sector level.

Explore further

Vulnerability

This section allows you to explore the susceptibility of livelihoods and natural systems to impacts from climate variability and change and facilitate the exploration of socioeconomic and development data and its relationships with natural hazards vulnerable areas.

Explore further

Impacts

This section allows you to explore the climate information from multiple climate indicators and present them with simple, embedded interpretation for an informative, high-level summary of the potential for future climate change impacts on key socioeconomic sectors.

Explore further

Adaptation

This section helps you grasp key national adaptation policies and reports, explore options for key sectors, and understand current adaptation gaps and needs for enhanced climate smart planning.

Explore further