Iraq plans to implement adaptation measures to further combat the effects of climate change. Iraq will focus on issues of food, water, and economic security for its citizens. The adaptation focus Iraq's Intended Nationally Determined Contribution falls across sectors including water resources, water treatment, agriculture, ecosystem preservation, health and tourism.
- A national database on natural resources, as well as climate data for research and development, should be established.
- Most academic institutions lack research capabilities on climate change due to the absence of trained Iraqi professionals in environmental issues. Therefore, environment-related research through the introduction of environmental studies in educational institutions should be encouraged.
- An effective water monitoring network to ensure water safety and security should be developed.
- Technical capacity for monitoring, data collection and data management should be developed.
- Public awareness on the impacts and consequences of climate change should be increased, through awareness building campaigns to facilitate mitigation and adaptation.
- A regional initiative for sharing information and knowledge about climate change should be established.
- Institutional capacity building and coordination is needed in order to develop a comprehensive and sustained response to climate risks.
- Training of policymakers in climate-related issues should be encouraged.
- International academic collaboration should be encouraged.